Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tune Out, Turn Off and Think Big Thoughts

Are you old enough to remember when you weren't able to be reached all the time, 24/7/365?  I regularly reminisce about the days when I could go to professional conferences and be truly gone.  No checking emails, texts, cell phone messages and other ways we stay tethered to work and each other. I could absorb what I was learning, think about how it connected to my work and connect (and re-connect) with colleagues in a meaningful way.  I miss those days and am taking steps to get them back.

I'm not a Luddite.  I like my smartphone, social media (hey, I'm posting on this blog, right?), and other ways to connect.  I just think, as does this author, that we need to stop all the frenzy -- and the insecure, "busier than thou" superiority and need to be needed that sometimes goes along with it -- and just...stop for a minute.  Think.  Think deeply.  Face whatever comes up when we give it space to emerge.

What do you think?  How do you make room for time to reflect and think?

http://www.fastcompany.com/1700298/what-happened-to-downtime-the-extinction-of-deep-thinking-and-sacred-space

No comments:

Post a Comment